Stafford Soccer Fields in History
Willowmere Park is part of two farms that existed on that property. The house and property was called Windsor Forest and still bears a subdivision of the same name. Part of that property is now Quantico Marine Corps Base.
The earliest documented owner for this property is Charles Carter (1738-1796) who was the son of Robert “King” Carter of Lancaster County Virginia. King Carter was a man of immense wealth through his property ownership. When King passed he left a will measuring over 40 pages in which not only his sons and daughters were deeded property but his grandchildren and siblings and their children. Windsor Forest was given to Charles.
Although Charles lived at Stanstead Plantation (now the Target shopping center on Rt. 17) he would have kept tenants on Windsor Forest to generate income. The entirety of the property was a large narrow tract of land that stretched from Garrisonville Road (610) southward to Poplar Road (Rt. 616). It is on the northern end of the property where the Windsor Forest subdivision now exists. Although one of the old houses remain on the property and is surrounded by the park.
The property was purchased from Charles in 1870 by Alfred Wickliffe Wallis who retained the farm until 1909 when it was sold to Charles J. French. In 1946 Jenevra McCormick purchased 214 acres of the original property for $5000. A single mother, she moved herself and five children to Stafford from Toledo, Ohio and commenced farming. She didn't have a tractor or horse, but purchased an old jeep and used it to pull a plow to cultivate the fields. When she moved in, the Rural Electrification Project had run power lines through that part of the county, but her house wasn't connected. There was also no telephone in the house during the years that she owned it. Jenevra finally decided that she really wasn't a farmer and three years later she sold it for $11,000, a tidy profit. One of Jenevra’s daughters married and remained in Stafford.